virtualbox3.0 update fails with error "302 moved temporarily"

Vitorio Okio ovitorio at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:55:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:28:13 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> On 03/25/2010 12:57 PM, Vitorio Okio wrote:
>> Synaptic prompted today for an update available for package
>> virtualbox3.p.  When I click "Install" it comes back with the
>> following:
>>
>> "W: Failed to fetch
>> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/pool/
>> non-free/v/virtualbox-3.0/
>> virtualbox-3.0_3.0.14-58977_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb 302 Moved
>> Temporarily"
>>
>> I followed the link in Firefox and found the package sitting there as
>> expected and waiting for being downloaded.  I actually tested it and I
>> can download it, if I wish. Though there is an additional redirection
>> involved.
>
> The current version of VB is 3.1.4-57640. What version are you running
> now?

I guess I slightly messed up our conversation by posting before you
responded. So, I continue it here to consolidate it.

> Because they are different versions (3.0 vs 3.1), 3.1 needs to be
> installed directly.

This is exactly what I did before I responded with "things are getting
worse" :-)

> I think I see the problem... they are updating to 3.1.6:

I got it here too. When I run apt-get install virtualbox from terminal,
all at a sudden it attempted to bring in a newer 3.1.6 version but failed
with the same error.

Yes, I think they get slightly messed up during their internal update.
It's not very accurate. But that's OK, I'll wait.

Thanks for help.