Grub2 and multiple boot different ubuntu versions

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:17:48 UTC 2010

> So, I'm thinking that Goh's method of putting grub it it's own partition
> is probably the only sensible way to go (no pun intended).

The pun should have been intended! :)

I don't really understand this "own partition" option. Won't there
still be one of the OSs whose update-grub will update grub.cfg?

> Yo Goh... I vote that you & Tom H write a multiboot grub2 app (gui
> preferred of course) or modify startupmanager to sort all of this out
> :-) Or modify/add to the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 page to
> point out these issues/techniques?

:)

If I had the time, I could possibly write some scripts with a whiptail
"face" to modify a few grub.cfg settings but there is no way that I
could make the time to create and then maintain such a series of
scripts... :(

It does not look that Startup Manager is being actively maintained.
The changelog is pretty sparse
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/universe/s/startupmanager/startupmanager_1.9.12-1ubuntu1/changelog
and, IIRC, it is still using grub1 habits (like vga settings and
modifying grub.cfg rather than the other files) but that would be the
GUI best app to enable grub2 modifications.

IMHO, the grub maintainers should add the option in /etc/default/grub
for os-prober to skip some partitions but they must have more than
enough to do as it is. I read a thread some time ago where a request
to re-enable the option to select how many kernels from each /boot to
show in the grub menu was simply denied; the answer was not even "we
will add it to our todo list but it will be a low priority".