Grub2 and multiple boot different ubuntu versions

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:21:16 UTC 2010

On 24 March 2010 14:41, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I had a double boot setup with XP and Karmic.  I installed Lucid Beta
>> 1 in a separate partition and on boot it gives me the menu with Lucid
>> at the top followed by Karmic kernels and XP, and all works well.  As
>> Lucid is just for testing, however, I want it do default to Karmic
>> boot so I set GRUB_DEFAULT=5 in /etc/default/grub, run sudo
>> update-grub and again all is well.
>> Each time the Lucid kernel is updated, however, I need to add two to
>> GRUB_DEFAULT as there are new kernels above it.  I wonder whether it
>> is possible to rearrange the grub menu so Karmic is at the top and I
>> can leave the default at 0.  I have contemplated booting into Karmic
>> and running update-grub but I hesitate to do this in case it is a bad
>> idea, not really understanding how grub works.
>> It would be nice if grub allowed a regex setting for the default boot
>> when specifying a string, defaulting to the first matching name, but I
>> have not seen this in the docs.  It would seem like a trivial
>> extension.
>>
>> Colin
>

> Try 'saved' as default. Yes, it will boot last booted entry not a
> 'preselected' entry.

I thought of that, but it is not really what I want.  If I boot into
lucid then power off I generally still want it to boot to karmic next
time.  Also, presumably, if there were a new karmic kernel (when
booted to karmic of course) on reboot it would presumably go to the
old one not the new one.

I am about to try update-grub from karmic since Sam said it should be
ok and no-one has said otherwise.  If you don't here from me again
then I am presumably in the proverbial.

Colin