Workspace Switcher?

Markdv markdv.gmane at asphyx.net
Tue Mar 23 08:34:19 UTC 2010

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 9.10.  Either its not working right or I don't understand
> how it supposed to work.
>
> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".

If you enable "visual-effects"/compiz you only have _one_ workspace.
_One_ workspace that is N times the size of your physical screen.

What we then perceive and use as N "workspaces" are in fact what they
call _viewports_ showing a screen sized part of the single large workspace.

> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
> dragging "what ever app".  I click and drag it to another workspace but
> it remains where it is.

Sadly it only supports dragging between workspaces, and not viewports.
The tooltip should have been disabled when only one workspace exists.
It's useless, annoying and confusing.

To see the most noticeable difference between having multiple workspaces
and a single large one with multiple viewports try to put a window
halfway one and the next workspace/viewport with and without
visual-effects/compiz enabled.

Regargs,
Mark.