How to make "restricted formats" work

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 17:59:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz
<thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> I have been trying to get the radio in Rhythmbox play.
> So far without success.
> (if you permit me to say so: as a radioplayer Rhythmbox is not useful at
> all; it comes with only 25 preinstalled stations of which maybe half can
> actually be played)
>
> Anyway
> the other day someone mentioned
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats>
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu>
>
> THIS was something I wanted to know for quite a while now. Thank you.
> The page about the "restricted formats" clears up a few questions .... BUT
> does not help.
>
> I think I successfully installed the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" ->
> Synaptic tells me, there are 31 packages installed.
> But ... the radio still does not work.
>
> What am I missing?
> Is there anywhere a documentation / instruction that explains how this
> should work?
> (as far as I can tell, there are no explanations on the above page
> except for "click here" or "execute ...")
>
> If there actually IS a way of selecting stations from among the millions
> that must be broadcasting (on my work machine (windows xp) I use found a
> tiny, cute piece of freeware (www.screamer-radio.com) that comes with
> about 3-400 preinstalled stations. You just pick one and play it) and
> ***JUST!!*** play it -- I would really love to know.

Use the Software Centre to install a little app called StreamTuner.
It's pretty good. It's what I use.

Along with ubuntu-restricted-extras, follow the instructions on the
Medibuntu site for installing the w32codecs (or appropriate versions
for your platform, in case you are on x86-64).

That will get most things playing.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508