error with java

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 01:36:15 UTC 2010

On 03/21/2010 06:09 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Always works for me. Sounds as if you have something misconfigured.
>>
>> Verified Java Version
>> Congratulations!
>> You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 18).
>>

> """
> Oops! You don't have the recommended Java installed.
> Your Java version is Version 6 Update 15.
> """

So the sight is indeed working & working for you. The issue is that
Ubuntu does not keep the sun-java6 packages updated (search launchpad).
You will of course get the -18 if you upgrade to lucid, but even then,
once it goes to -19 or whatever lucid won't be updated either.

The only way I've found to keep my sun-java6 packages updated is to
install them myself. That is why you see the response I received from
the site.

> It's been like that on every *buntu install that I've done since
> Dapper. And I never upgrade, all fresh installs on a clean partition.
>
> ✈dcl:~$ aptitude show sun-java6-jre
> Package: sun-java6-jre
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: yes
> Version: 6-15-1
and has security issues. However java should work for you in Firefox.

I can only recommend installing yourself. I keep mine in the standard
/usr/lib/jvm folder and then in ~/.mozilla I create a 'plugins' folder
(~/.mozilla/plugins) and then create a symlink to the appropriate
libnpjp2.so file:
/usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_18/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

Note: in lucid the sun-java6-plugin package supplied via Ubuntu is
missing the libnpjp2.so file, so I still needed to install manually anyway.