Webcam Help Under Ubuntu Needed

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sun Mar 21 20:48:33 UTC 2010

On 21-03-10 20:11, Graham Todd wrote:
> I have a Trust webcam which was given to me, so I don't have any
> documentation (or any packing to give me its exact model), but when I
> enter lsusb into a terminal, the relevant line relating to the webcam
> shows as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 008: ID 093a:2460 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Q-TEC WEBCAM 100
>
> I get something when using Cheese; its out of focus and green, but
> the webcam would seem to be recognised at least.  Can anybody help me
> with advice on how to make this webcam work with Ubuntu?
>
> Alternatively, can anyone advise me which webcams they recommend to use
> with IM packages (particularly aMSN) under Ubuntu?  I'd like the
> picture to be bright, clear, and in focus so my grand children can see
> how decrepit their grandfather really is....

I went shopping yesterday, and I had my smartphone open on this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams
Consulted it while I was at the shop.
I bought the first cam that also had a microphone, and that was on the
'Just Work' list. Happens to be a Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000.
Hardware is the only decent thing that Microsoft makes. ;-)