Linux TTS Voices

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 20:04:19 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Christopher Lemire <
christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Fred Roller <fred at fwrgallery.com> wrote:
>
>> Christopher Lemire wrote:
>> >
>> > [snip]
>>
>> > So if using mbrola voices requires downloading from their website
>> > rather than using what's in espeak-data, maybe I should remove that
>> > package from my system. I just thought that it would be easier for
>> > other users using my software to only have to install an ubuntu
>> > package to make it work.
>> >

>> >    If I were to run the command with absolute paths then it would look
>> >    something like:
>> >

>> >          espeak -s 200 -k 20 -v mb-en1 -m "this is a test using mbrola
>> >    with espeak" |mbrola -e /Crypt/Software/mbrola/en1/en1 - test.wav
>> >

>> > How does mbrola know that is the absolute path you downloaded the
>> > voices to when you use mbrola -e en1/en1 instead?
>> As mentioned before, the original command was running from a working
>> directory and the path was relative.  Put this in your browser
>>
>>    file:///usr/share/doc/espeak/mbrola.html
>>
>> It should exist on your system if you down loaded from the repos.  You
>> still need to download languages from the referred sites within the
>> documentation.
>>
>> As for software knowing where to find languages then a feild for
>> language location and a browse button ought to handle that function.  A
>> tools option can be developed to query the download site, filter the
>> options of languages, and download the language of choice to a chosen
>> directory or to your software default.  Setting this language as
>> variable to query for the -v option in espeak (I choose en1 so espeak
>> knows to set mb-en1) which allows the user to only work with their
>> downloaded options.
>>

>> >                 -v mb-en1 (the mbrola voice to let espeak know you are
>> > using
>> >            mbrola)
>> >

>> > Does this change depending on the mbrola voice you are using? If so,
>> > how do you know what to change it to?
>> >
>> > Here's the software I've created so far for anybody wanting to try it.
>> > http://nanomachine.byethost22.com/files/
>> >
>> > It may not work with the gnu java included by default with Ubuntu. If
>> > it doesn't, you will need to install sun-java6-jre so that java points
>> > to this.
>> >
>> > chris at ubuntu910:~/Desktop$ ls -l `which java`
>> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2010-02-13 01:34 /usr/bin/java ->
>> > /etc/alternatives/java
>> > chris at ubuntu910:~/Desktop$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/java
>> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2010-02-13 01:34 /etc/alternatives/java ->
>> > /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>> > chris at ubuntu910:~/Desktop$
>> >
>> > That change should happen automatically when you install the
>> > sun-java6-jre package. If it doesn't, use the update-alternatives
>> > command.
>> >
>> > To run the program, use this command
>> >
>> > java -jar TTSReader.jar
>> >
>> > Once it's running, highlight any text and push control c, pdfs,
>> > firefox, any text you can highlight, and it should be read
> [...]
Fred,

Yes, there are plenty of ways you can help without any coding knowledge.

Whenever I get all my ideas for this application coded, it's going to be a
really badass app, and it will be nice to finally have a free alternative to
the software in Windows such as 2nd Speech Center (I hate having to reboot
to Windows because I want to use this), and TextAloud.

Plus, as an end user of these different software, I have a good idea of how
an ideal one should be.

/usr/share/doc/espeak/mbrola.html

Even though I knew these docs existed, it never came to my mind to look
there, so thanks for the reminder. I had been using these docs so much, that
I have added /usr/share/doc/ as a bookmark in Nautilus (the file browser for
Gnome), and it now shows up under my Places menu.

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0