GDM: remove visible user list Was: Re: Lucid changed background color

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 17:50:44 UTC 2010

>>> You are welcome. I am sorry that I was too busy to post the solution
>>> but it has come up a few times here so I guess that Google helped
>>> once you knew about the gconf*... :)

>> I suppose that I should have practiced my google-fu but the issue
>> comes up so seldom that I failed to do so.
>> That said, and having initiated your advice through gconf-editor, I
>> still have not verified that it works for to do so I would have to
>> reboot my machine and I am loathe to do that with only 46 days of
>> uptime.

> Tom, I finally rebooted (just to see if Debian and my other Ubu
> installation were still there (Yay, new grub2 fixed my boot order with
> no prompting!)) and the gconf-editor command made no difference (in
> retrospect I don't think I switched users from cybe to gdm) when I
> logged back into this installation. I did find a fix (for my owm
> short-sightedness) using Ubuntu Tweak <http://ubuntu-tweak.com/>.
> It also allows a button push to move the title bar controls around,
> too, along with a whole lot more.

"Switching" to gdm is the essential ingredient because the login
screen is displayed through the gdm user.

For the record, three ways (that I know of; you could probably edit
some xml file (in ~gdm/gconf or ~gdm/gconf.d?)):

1. Logged in as you:

in alt-f2 or in terminal

$ sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type boolean
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true

2. Logged in as you:

- in alt-f2 or in terminal
$ sudo/gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconf-editor

- select
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter

- set
disable_user_list