[lucid] update-notifier 99 breaks ubuntu-desktop

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 20 06:31:19 UTC 2010

Anyone else having issues with the update-notifier upgrades this evening?

update-notifier-common removes ubuntu-desktop and update-notifier -
result is a desktop background with no panels. Mouse works,
Alt-CTRL-F1-6 works, but nothing else (including booting into failsafe
mode & attempting to reinstall ubuntu-desktop results in:

 ubuntu-desktop: Depends: update-notifier but it is not going to be
installed
 E: Broken packages

Tried to file a bug report on launchpad, but launchpad is so screwed up
following their "upgrade" that I only get:
====
Unexpected form data

Launchpad doesn't understand the form data submitted in this request.
====

The update is from update-notifier 98 to 99 & 99 seems to be the culprit.

On another test system I've held back all of the update-notifier
upgrades & that seems to