how to defragment linux file system?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 20 05:23:20 UTC 2010

On 03/19/2010 09:24 PM, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> Hi. I am new to linux. Please tell me how to defragment ext3 filesystem?

https://help.ubuntu.com/
 https://help.ubuntu.com/community
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxFilesystemsExplained
<quote>
Fragmentation

Another common Windows practice that is not needed in Unix is
defragmenting the hard drive. When NTFS and FAT write files to the hard
drive, they don't always keep pieces (known as blocks) of files
together. Therefore, to maintain the performance of the computer, the
hard drive needs to be "defragged" every once in a while. This is
unnecessary on Unix File systems due to the way it was designed. When
ext3 was developed, it was coded so that it would keep blocks of files
together or at least near each other.

No true defragmenting tools exist for the ext3 file system, but tools
for defragmenting will be included with the ext4 file system.
</quote>

are good places to start.

A. It is not necessary to defrag an ext3 filesystem.