Antivirus and anti spam for ubuntu desktop

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 17:09:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> James Bensley wrote:
>> Never say you don't need anti virus, install it but just turn it off
>> if you like, to say you will never need it is naive and foolish.
>
> Can you explain the benefit of an anti virus program that is installed
> but turned off? I would expect it to be as good as not installed but
> maybe I don't understand the magic of anti virus programs.

[Chuckle]

Well, the closest thing I can think of is ClamAV. It's not an
on-demand real-time scanner, it just lets you do periodic routine
scans. (Which, I concede, you can schedule.)

So it's a bit like having a Windows virus scanner without the main
benefit of one, i.e., stopping viruses from getting at you. It just
tells you after you've got one. :¬)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508