CPU usage at 97-98% with not alot running

Pete Smout peter.smout at o2.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 13:56:16 UTC 2010

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:00:32 -0400
From: J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CPU usage at 97-98% with not alot running
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 13:16, Pete Smout <peter.smout at o2.co.uk> wrote:
> this started at appropriately the same time as the kernel upgrade to
> 2.6.31-20 generic maybe just a coincidence i dont know!

So obviously, the first thing to do is boot an older kernel.

the updates don't remove older kernels, so you should have a boot
option for -20 and -19 and older kernels at boot time.

So I'd try the last known working kernel first, then go from there.

Thanks for the prompt reply, tried that still slow! think i fixed it by killing aplay and foobilliards (still running even though ended on gnome). all seems back to normal again!!