server crash after karmic upgrade

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 09:12:29 UTC 2010

Yesterday I upgraded my home server to Karmic.

The upgrade seems to have completed correctly.  However, when I came
home today, the server was off line, could not be pinged , no samba, no
ssh, no intranet pages.  The only way to restart was from the power
switch.  After restart, everything worked fine.  There were some
upgrades I applied when I ssh'ed in to the box, all seemed well.  About
an hour later, it was off line again.

At this point, I don't even know the right questions to ask or what log
files to check.  Any suggestions?  Tips for where to find more info?