Antivirus and anti spam for ubuntu desktop

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Mar 18 23:59:40 UTC 2010

On 18-03-10 20:43, valhalla2100 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am thinking of going to Debian, the Novell or to Fedora.  I was told that they were very secure.

Ubuntu is just Debian with a few fancy tricks to make it a bit
comfortable for newcomers.
Novell/Suse And Redhat/Fedora are also just Linuxes. Just as secure or
unsecure as Debian.

If you want security, forget Linux. Use BSD.

> I think that I will set up a solid state drive with a LINUX OS and
> check the alerts that way.

A solid state drive is just another technology of hard drive. It doesn't
use spinning disks but flash memory, so there are no moving parts. But
to the operating system there is no difference.

I think you meant a read-only medium. Just use a livecd, there are many
specialized recovery distributions.