Making the switch easier fo newbies

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Thu Mar 18 15:43:45 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I sometimes go to my friends and family for a visit and they take advantage
of my PC Tech skills to fix all those pesky errors, slowness and Spyware
they get on their 3 yeard old (or older) Windows XP PCs....

I would like to be able to convince them to switch to Linux (namely Ubuntu).
As we all know - humans fear any change....

So I was thinking it could be nice if I had a little free app I download to
their Windows PC. This little app would scan their PC for all apps installed
and the Web browser's History (after displaying the proper disclaimer, of
course) and then produce a list of suitable Linux distributions for the
specific needs of that computer user.

Maybe even generate a selections list we can use to install using apt-get
after a vanilla Ubuntu install, in effect - creating a 5 click Migration
Assistant...

Any of you know of such an app in existence?

Imagine the following scenario:

I go to my Aunts house, run this little app, it even downloads the proper
ISO, I burn the ISO to disc and  use it to revive her slow, buggy PC...

Thanks!

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html