[USB SATA connection] Changing file system from NTFS to Ext3

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Thu Mar 18 01:50:27 UTC 2010

My Ubuntu machine is a dual boot (XP and Ubuntu).  I am gradually
formatting the original XP NTFS IDE drives over to Ext3 so there will be
just a small  XP system and a large Ubuntu system. In order to build a
Linux source respository I obtained a SATA Terra Byte USB external drive
which the store had already set up as NTFS which Ubuntu had no problem
integrating.  Problem is I want Ext3 not NTFS.  Also, this USB Sata
drive prevents boot up and I have to turn it off before shutting down
and turn it on once the system has passed the boot up stage.  This
situation has caused me to wonder what I am doing wrong.  I was just
going to leave the system (including the USB external Sata drive)
running and then "umount" the  USB Sata drive, format as Ext3 and then
"mount" but I think I am missing something here because I want the USB
external Sata drive to be permanently in place so that it powers up with
the rest of the system and powers down with the rest of the system
without me having to turn it OFF and ON as a separate disk entity.

Is there someone knowledgeable on this subject that can give me some

Thanks in advance for any guidance, Ted Hilts