Trouble in accessing `/home/USERNAME/.Xauthority'

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 18 00:31:41 UTC 2010

On 03/17/2010 03:56 PM, NoOp wrote:
> So, now the missing ~/.Xauthority; no idea why this is/was missing on
> your system. To see if ~/.Xauthority regenerates if missing, I renamed
> the file on my test system to ~/x-.Xauthority-x and rebooted (remember
> this is a test machine, so it doesn't matter if I screw it up).
> Following the reboot I checked and no new ~/.Xauthority was generated.
> So, we now have to figure out where the file originates from, and how to
> restore yours.

Well... I found that ssh'ing into the machine using -X creates a new
~./Xauthority:

$ ssh -X karmic@<IPaddress>
karmic@<IPaddress>'s password:
Linux karmic 2.6.31-20-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 8 09:05:19 UTC
2010 i686

To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
http://help.ubuntu.com/

Last login: Mon Feb  8 11:44:34 2010
/usr/bin/X11/xauth:  creating new authority file /home/karmic/.Xauthority

And that the file comes from xauth, so perhaps someone on the list can
assist in advising how to create the file from xauth (or other than ssh)?