[lucid] smb failing - drives cpu to 100%

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:15:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:59, Fred Roller <fred at fwrgallery.com> wrote:
> Fred Roller wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Can any of you folks testing lucid check and add to this bug report if
>>> you're experiencing the same? Thanks.
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/532024/
>>> [gvfsd-smb-brows uses 100% cpu after selecting Places-->Network]
>>>

>> My test machine simply failed to launch anything with Places -->
>> Network.  According to "top" utilization didn't break 2%
>>
>> x386 Celeron w/ 512 Ram running Alpha 3 Lucid.
>>

> Sorry for the noise.  The above finally errored out with "Could not
> display 'network:///'. Error: Location is already mounted.  Please
> select another viewer and try again."

Curious...  if you open a terminal and issue the command "mount" does
your SMB or Windows share show up as already mounted?
It should also show up in the GUI file manager along with other local
filesystems, USB and CD/DVD drives etc.

If your share(s) is automounted, and you can access it after boot,
then you're fine and that's expected behaviour... HOWEVER, if not,
then you've got a bug...