Issue with upgrading from 8.10 -> 9.04

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Mar 15 16:47:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:16:45AM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> 10 at 11:35 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 04:11:58PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> >> I used Debian a couple of years ago and now want to use Linux
> >> again, this time with Ubuntu. I went to 1und1 as a provider and
> >> rented a virtual server that had 8.0.4 LTS on it
> >> WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
> >> 2.6.15 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
> >> glibc.
> >
> > This is very weird, given that Ubuntu 8.04 comes with 2.6.24 which is
> > definitely later than 2.6.15.  Even Ubuntu 6.06 came with 2.6.15.
> Hmmh, maybe the hoster (1und1) screwed something up? (I mean they enhanced
> it ... to be able to be used in a virtual server environment?!)
>
> > Can you check your running kernel version (uname -a)?
> Sure:
> Linux s15390688.onlinehome-server.info 2.6.9-023stab051.3-smp #1 SMP Wed Nov
> 4 18:36:34 MSK 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Definitely a custom kernel.

> > Don't do that -- the instructions are for Debian, not Ubuntu.  You could
> > say this is a second bug: the Ubuntu version of libc6 shouldn't instruct
> > Ubuntu users to add Debian lenny repositories to sources.list.
>
> >> Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and
> >> include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report.
> >
> > This is good advice: it would make sense for update-manager to check
> > that you're running a supported kernel version before it starts the
> > upgrade process.
> So I should report it? Where to?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Skip all the GUI options that aren't applicable.  The package you want
is 'update-manager', and the bug would be a suggestion to check for a
supported kernel version before starting the upgrade.

> > Double-check first:
> >
> >  $ ls /boot
> *root at s15390688:~# ls /boot
> root at s15390688:~#

Do you happen to know which virtualization tech 1und1 is offering?
Xen/KVM/vserver/anything else?

> Reinstalling shouldn't be a problem. I can start over from 8.0.4 as often as
> I like ;-)

That's nice.

It may turn out to be simpler to backport gitosis to 8.04 than upgrade
your vserver to 9.04...

> With what you write further below I will try to set it up again from the
> beginning and then execute apt-get install linux-virtual again.

I doubt that will help -- obviously your virtual machine is not using
kernels from /boot, but gets one from somewhere else.

> > Depending on the virtualization tech used it may be difficult/impossible
> > to upgrade the kernel inside the VM -- this could be the source of all
> > your troubles.
> Ok. Do you know a hoster that offers current ubuntu versions? I don't need
> much space, traffic, ram or cpu. Mostly uninterrupted service, English or
> German as communication language and a good price would be appreciated
> though.

I've never researched that question, but I remember 'linode' from
somewhere, and they offer Ubuntu 9.10, which is currently the latest
version: http://www.linode.com/faq.cfm

Cheers!
Marius Gedminas
--
This is, or so I'm told, a classic book. I can see why. It is long and it
requires a great effort to finish it. If you go through a great effort to