mount.nfs fails stating incorrect mount option but succeeds if -v or with 8.04

RParr rparr at TemporalArts.COM
Sun Mar 14 23:43:45 UTC 2010

On 03/13/2010 02:40 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> Is anyone else having this kind of problem with NFS mounts in /etc/fstab on
>> Ubuntu Lucid A3?
>>

>> with /etc/fstab containing;
>> n2:/db /db nfs auto,nfsvers=3 0 0
>>

>> OR containing
>> n2:/db /db nfs auto 0 0
>>

>> # mount /db
>> fails with message "mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified"
>>

>> # mount n2:/db /db
>> also fails with the same message
>>

>> BUT the following succeeds despite the "Operation not supported" message
>> # mount n2:/db /db -v
>> mount: no type was given - I'll assume nfs because of the colon
>> mount.nfs: timeout set for Thu Mar 11 15:14:50 2010
>> mount.nfs: text-based options: 'addr=63.227.222.65'
>> mount.nfs: mount(2): Operation not supported
>> mount.nfs: trying 63.227.222.65 prog 100003 vers 3 prot UDP port 2049
>> mount.nfs: trying 63.227.222.65 prog 100005 vers 3 prot UDP port 32767
>> mount.nfs: text-based options (retry):
>> 'addr=63.227.222.65,vers=3,proto=udp,mountvers=3,mountproto=udp,mountport=32767'
>> n2:/db on /db type nfs (rw)
>>

>> This system in question dual boots 10.04 and 8.04; under 8.04 ALL of the
>> above succeeds without error messages.
>>

>> I filed a bug report but thought best to ask the list as well
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/537746
>>
> It is surprising that a verbose mount would succeed when a non-verbose
> one would fail!
>
> How about if you make your mount command more specific
> mount -t nfs -o proto=udp -v ...
> because Lucid might be defaulting to a tcp mount and somehow choking
> on the udp export on offer
> or
> mount -t nfs -o proto=udp mountvers=3 -v ...
> or
> mount -t nfs -o proto=udp nfsvers=3 -v ...
> to specify further an nfsv3 mount

Given the mounts did work if I used the -v option from the command line,
I experimented with adding the options shown in the verbose output to
the fstab options.

I determined the proto=udp option was the one that made the "an
incorrect mount option" error message go away and the mount succeeds on
boot up.

n2:/db /db nfs auto,nfsvers=3,proto=udp 0 0

I tried the other options, and the ordering of the options, and found
adding proto=udp was the only option that made the error go away.