Fw: ffmpeg to speexenc

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 08:38:27 UTC 2010

On 03/11/2010 08:17 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:30:02 -0800
>> From: Patton Echols <p.echols at comcast.net>
>> Subject: Re: Fw: ffmpeg to speexenc
>>
>> Hmmm, the ffmpeg command looks rational so probably not the
>> place I
>> would start.  Not familiar with speexenc, but what is
>> in the output
>> file?  maybe error messages?
>>
>> I looked at the man page online (version?) and the
>> --skeleton switch is
>> not shown.  So my two other thoughts would be to try
>> it without skeleton
>> or try it in two steps.   Those attempts
>> would probably tell you if
>> there is something wrong with the command.
>>

> runs until I terminate ffmpeg or ffmpeg finishes
>
> tom at tom-laptop:~/Videos$ ffmpeg -i "ART_raw.mp3" -ac 1 -ar 16000 -f wav test.wav
> [SNIP]
> tom at tom-laptop:~/Videos$
>
> stopped at 11.8Mb (6 minutes 26 seconds)
>
> tom at tom-laptop:~/Videos$  speexenc --skeleton -V "test.wav" "test.spx"
> [SNIP]

Ok, so there is something wrong in the pipe or the expectations of
speex.  Your command piped wav format.  Logical.

> ffmpeg -i "ART_raw.mp3" -ac 1 -ar 16000 -f wav - | speexenc --skeleton -V - "test.spx"

But the man page says it will accept raw pcm, anything other than wav.
So I tried substituting another format for wav.  I tried -f s8 and got a
working result.  Not pretty but either my test file or my ffmpeg version
is throwing errors.  (This laptop is running Hardy and some of the
versions may be causing trouble)

For other formats, try $ ffmpeg -formats