SATA controllers

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Mar 12 00:12:45 UTC 2010

On Friday, March 12, 2010 02:32 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> I'm speccing a new machine and as part of it I'd like to have a
>> linux-controlled 4-disk RAID 6 array using SATA 3 Gbps disks (aka STA 2).
>
>> Can anybody point me to lists and/or reviews of recommended 4-port
>> controller cards please?
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/
>
> The CentOS, Debian, and Red Hat lists.

/me rotfl. I definitely do not remember ever reading about or discussing
reviews of sata controllers on the Centos list.

> If you are looking for hardware RAID, go for 3ware or LSI.

They are now the same company.

> If you are looking for software (mdadm) RAID, make sure that you do
> not buy a FakeRAID card.

It would be a bit hard to find a 4 port non-raid sata controller. After
all, they get to charge a premium for a slightly modified bios. At least
here in Hong Kong anyway.