Window buttons on the left in Lucid (was: Re: Lucid changed background color)

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Wed Mar 10 16:18:41 UTC 2010

10.03.2010 03:40, NoOp:

> It gets worse... the background isn't the issue (don't care what color
> it is), now they've decided to try an emulate a Mac (albeit poorly) and
> put the window open/close/maximize/unmaximize on the left side of the
> application window. See:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand
> <http://www.kilobitspersecond.com/2010/03/03/the-new-ubuntu-lucid-look-an-appraisal/>
> <http://www.kilobitspersecond.com/2010/03/03/the-new-ubuntu-lucid-look-an-appraisal/lighttheme/>
> <http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-gets-new-themes-logo-more.html>
> Notice that the Window Menu button is also now missing (yes I know you
> can right-click on the top decoration border for the options, but just
> how much space was the button taking up?).

I don't get it either. If I try to think about who might gain from that
change, I can only come up with
- People used to Ubuntu < Lucid or other Linux distributions:
  They're probably used to having the windows buttons on the right.
  My guess would be that they most likely think
  "WTF? Who moved those buttons left? How do I bring them back where
  they belong?"
- People used to Windows switching to/trying Ubuntu:
  They're probably used to having the windows buttons on the right.
  My guess would be that they most likely think
  "WTF? Who moved those buttons left? How do I bring them back where
  they belong?"
- People used to MacOS X switching to/trying Ubuntu:
  They're probably used to having the windows buttons on the left.
  My guess would be that they like them being on the left.

So, that leaves the converts from MacOS X who I consider likely to
welcome that change.
But, how many people are there who bought Apple hardware and then
abandon the most prominent reason for doing so - owning a platform on
which they can legally run MacOS X - in favour of Ubuntu?

Can someone please shed a light on this and explain what improvement
this change is supposed to achieve? Or is this really so utterly
brain-dead as it seems to me?

--
Regards
  mks