Lucid changed background color

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 10 02:40:14 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 03:27 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> 	I got some updates this afternoon on my Lucid alfa and the
> background which had been a nice light brown was changed by
> one of the updates to a dark purple on the left side and a
> light purple on the right side.
>
> 	Is this a problem or a feature?

Neither... it's a poor attempt to make the desktop look like a Mac.

It gets worse... the background isn't the issue (don't care what color
it is), now they've decided to try an emulate a Mac (albeit poorly) and
put the window open/close/maximize/unmaximize on the left side of the
application window. See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand
<http://www.kilobitspersecond.com/2010/03/03/the-new-ubuntu-lucid-look-an-appraisal/>
<http://www.kilobitspersecond.com/2010/03/03/the-new-ubuntu-lucid-look-an-appraisal/lighttheme/>
<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-gets-new-themes-logo-more.html>
Notice that the Window Menu button is also now missing (yes I know you
can right-click on the top decoration border for the options, but just
how much space was the button taking up?).

Keeping this in the spirit of this list... does anyone know how to put
the damn buttons back on the right side? This is crazy... every few
months we get such changes. Ubuntu commercial inclusions (UbuntuOne),
removal of tried & trusted apps (Gimp), etc., etc. And this is to be an
LTS.

Personally I'm starting to tire of all these "new & improved features",
and reserving more disk space for testing other distro's. Can't fix bugs
for basic sound & other essential requirements, but we can sure screw
with cute themes & in the process change the workflow of users...