[lucid] Debian GRUB splash screen?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 12:12:49 UTC 2010

>> Anyone out there running Lucid?

>> If so, have you noticed a recent update has suddenly changed your GRUB
>> boot screen from plain to a background with the Debian logo?

>> I wish I knew how to remove it.

>> At first I thought it was somehow installed separately, but in fact it's
>> part of the grub-pc package.

>> /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme is one of the files in said package.

>> Nothing against Debian, but I'm not running Debian and I like my GRUB
>> background to be OS-agnostic. :)

> Yes I see that too on my Lucid. I will guess that they are just
> testing to see if it works. And so far as Debian is concerned, all of
> Ubuntu started with Debian software.

I never got this Debian background on three different Lucid builds.
Strange; but alpha software so these kinks will be ironed out.

Ubuntu is not shy about its Debian roots. If you look at the Lucid
release schedule, you will see a "Debian Import Freeze" milestone.
AFAIK, the debs that have "ubuntu" in their names are Debian debs that
are customized to some degree by Canonical/Ubuntu and those that do
not have "ubuntu" in their names are original Debian debs.