Wrong screen resolution via KVM

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:06:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 15:59, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I must say that adding a skeleton xorg.conf file does not help. Unless
> I'm doing something wrong, is there an example file that I could peak
> at?

Did you try by running "Xorg --configure" (from runlevel 3, this
doesn't work if you already have X running)

IIRC, Xorg should look in /etc/X11 for Xorg.conf and failing that,
resort to probing video settings.

And you'll see all this if you look at the man pages for xorg:

CONFIGURATION
       Xorg  typically  uses  a  configuration file called xorg.conf
for its initial setup.  Refer to the xorg.conf(5) manual page for
information about the
       format of this file.

       Xorg has a mechanism for automatically generating a built-in
configuration at run-time when no xorg.conf file is present.   The
current  version  of
       this automatic configuration mechanism works in two ways.

       The  first is via enhancements that have made many components
of the xorg.conf file optional.  This means that information that can
be probed or rea‐
       sonably deduced doesn't need to be specified explicitly,
greatly reducing the amount of built-in configuration information that
needs to be generated
       at run-time.

       The  second is to have "safe" fallbacks for most configuration
information.  This maximises the likelihood that the Xorg server will
start up in some
       usable configuration even when information about the specific
hardware is not available.

       The automatic configuration support for Xorg is work in
progress.  It is currently aimed at the most popular hardware  and
software  platforms  sup‐
       ported by Xorg.  Enhancements are planned for future releases.