New External Hard-Drive format issue

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 09:18:47 UTC 2010

Hello Mir

> Thanks for a good advice. I was extremely nervous when I received earlier angry and impolite
> answer from someone.  I just wanted to know something and ask the community. Perhaps my
> question wasn't that great. Why people use bad words ? I don't know.

To be clear: the very first reaction that came to you in this thread
is not legitimate at all. There is NOTHING wrong about your question,
which is polite, clear and to-the-point. Please, NEVER hesitate to
share such questions with this community which is aimed at giving
technical support to one another. We help each other to make Linux
better step-by-step.

Just one little thing to add to the good advises that already came in
in this thread. Whenever I buy a new external hard drive, I carry out
a simple test before buying it. I ask for permission to the vendor to
plug in the device into the little laptop I take with me. Than I try
weather I can 'read' the device and copy to/ from it via the file
manager - Nautilus in Ubuntu, Dolphin in Kubuntu. The device I have
bought in this way, works well with at least three platforms: Linux,
Mac., Windows.

Have a good weekend! Respectfully yours,

Bas.