ext4, fsync(2), and perl

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Mar 5 10:28:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:38:19PM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, March 05, 2010 04:13 PM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 10:37:04AM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> >> On Friday, March 05, 2010 03:19 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > This tells me I have to use IO::Handle::sync() instead. The POSIX manpage
> > states that fsync is deprecated. This is why I used IO::Handle in my original
> > example.
>
> IO::Handle is for files only? I doubt that it will work with directories.

Yeah, makes sense. But IO::Dir don't have a sync() method. So how am I
supposed to do what Ted Ts'o is recommending?

> POSIX manpage says fsync is deprecated? That is highly impossible...not
> if they want just about every program rewritten.

I am talking about perl's posix(3pm) manpage. The real posix standards
would hardly talk about IO::Handle, would they?

And it's not only posix(3pm) saying that fsync is deprecated. When I try to
use perl's fsync, it also tells me to use IO::Handle instead.