Update 9.04 to 9.10 loses sound

Nepal - google nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:10:24 UTC 2010

I have just updated one of my platforms that had 9.04 Ubuntu to 9.10
Ubuntu. I have now lost sound on that system. I have googled, and
tried installing gnome-alsamixer, ran this but it does not detect any
sound device. If I try to view properties the application crashes.

Sound worked fine without any problems in 9.04. Anyone a suggestion on
how to fix this. I have also run lsmod and all the modules I would
expect to see are there i.e. EMU10K. Clicking on the speaker icon only
gives options to select a sound theme for the desktop, no sound device
is listed on the devices tab.

The card itself is a simple Soundblaster Live.

This sound problem is odd because I also have a platform with Kubuntu
9.10 which I am using at present to do this with kmail. Sound works
like a charm and I have used it quite extensively. But on 9.10 Ubuntu
no card is recognised even?

Any suggestions?

nepal