Need help installing java on Ubuntu 9.10 Workstation...

Liam O'Toole liam.p.otoole at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:03:15 UTC 2010

> Frank Gallacher wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10, complete with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3
>> (Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical 1.0)
>> I am trying to install Java, and have downloaded a self-extracting
>> archive "jre-6u18-linux-i586.bin".
>
> Is there a reason to not use the one in the repositories?

---SNIP---

Unfortunately the Sun Java packages in the official repositories do not
receive security updates between releases. The various alternative Java
packages tend to be hit-and-miss when running applets in a browser.
Therefore I always keep the latest Sun JRE installed and manually put a
symlink to the plugin in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom