Need help installing java on Ubuntu 9.10 Workstation...

Frank Gallacher franxg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:00:39 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10, complete with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3
(Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical 1.0)
I am trying to install Java, and have downloaded a self-extracting archive
"jre-6u18-linux-i586.bin".
The install instructions say I need to be logged on as "root".
But the password I used when I installed Ubuntu only works when I do a sudo;
doing a "su -" or logging onto a virtual terminal as "root" gives an
"authentication failure"...

How do I log in as root, and install Java???

TIA, fcG.