How do I determine which graphics card is being used?

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Thu Mar 4 11:34:03 UTC 2010

Scott Beamer wrote:
> Fred Roller spake thusly:
>

>> Nvidia typically uses a proprietary driver and would have prompted you
>> after install.  Your system may be using default settings (generic
>> driver).  Go to:
>>
>>     System --> Administration --> Hardware Drivers
>>
>> if it shows active there you go; if not you can activate the driver
>> there.  Once activated you should have:
>>
>>     System --> Administration --> NVIDIA X Server Settings
>>
>> to help control your card.
>>
>> This is all based on my experience with my Nvidia card so hope it helps.
>>

> I took your advice and now I can't get past the usplash screen at startup.
>
> I was running Lucid, so I figured I'd go back to the more stable Karmic
> and try again.
>
> No go, I codun't even get to the uslapsh at all.
>
> Hmmmmm.
>
> I guess I'll try Fedora and see what happens....

Another avenue that has worked for me in the past is downloading from
nvidia.  Back then (about 1.5 - 2 years ago) downloading directly from
nvidia and running the installer was a bit more of a to-do.  Check
current instructions but mine was:

    1. Download driver from
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us

    2. Start system and switch to cli at the log in

          alt+F1

    3. Log in and stop gdm

          sudu /etc/init/gdm stop

    4. Change directory to download and run installer for your card

          cd /some/download/dir
          ./nvidia_installer_file

    5. Follow the installer instructions

    6. Upon successful completion restart gdm

          sudo /etc/init/gdm start

    7. Restart system

       sudo shutdown -r now

If all goes well you should have an installed driver specific to your
card.  Disadvantage is having to repeat the process with each new kernel
upgrade.  Trying fedora is a good idea to see /if/ it will take the
nvidia drivers; but as Chris mentioned, most distros do not like closed
source drivers as it is counter point to open source philosophy.  The
above instructions are antiquated so research the latest instructions.
I found back then the installer would fail if gdm is running.  Good luck.

--
Fred Roller
TNC Limited

"When IT simply has to work."