9.10 and sudden reboots on a Lenovo T60 thinkpad

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Thu Mar 4 05:33:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 17:07 -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Since upgrading to 9.10 I've had a lot of weird problems on this
> laptop.  It will sometimes Freeze and require a power cycle.  And more
> disturbing, I can be reading my email and the screen will go black and
> the laptop will immediately reboot.

Check your logs for a message which indicates ACPI thinks something is
over temperature and a shutdown was initiated.  I have had intermittent
temperature sensor problems on my T61 which has caused it to shutdown on
occasion.  Other folks have had the same problem and it appears to be a
rather odd ACPI bug.  The message in the logs is something like:

Critical temperature reached...

There are some threads on this in the Ubuntu forums and a workaround
which is a bit dangerous found here:

http://burnz.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/ubuntu-auto-shutdown-due-to-high-cpu-temperature/

If you do the above, be aware that you may burn up your CPU or shorten
its life, if it is really overheating or if your fan fails.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and
smoot at tic.com