Live linux cd for a gateway 64- bit/32bit computer

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Mar 4 00:06:17 UTC 2010

>>> On the hard drive we have as follows "according to qtparted"
>>> partition size used space start end recovery
>>> 1 /dev/sda1 ntfs 15.54 gb N/A .o3 mb 15.54 recovery
>>> 2 /dev/sda2 nfts 115.55 gb 37 gb 15.54 gb
>>>

>> What do you want to achieve here? Recover Vista or recover files?
>>

> Great and thanks for you patience. Actually almost all the files are on
> Ubuntu except our tax files. I can reinstall vista because we have the
> disc, but, that would of course erase those files, so the answer is
> ..recover files John

Okay, then after you boot up into Mint, open a terminal.

Run 'sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt -o ro' to mount the Vista
installation. If it complains about the filesystem being marked dirty,
run this: 'sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt -o ro,force'

Then use your preferred file manager to browse /mnt and copy the files
you want out.

BTW, what error do you get from trying to boot Vista anyway? Or is it
infected?