Ubuntu Firewall

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 22:46:42 UTC 2010

Michael Haney wrote:

> Does Ubuntu 9.10 have a Firewall, and if so how can I change its
> settings?  I don't see a panel for it in System=>Preferences or
> System=>Administration, assuming there is a Firewall.  I'm trying to
> get Hamachi to work.  I've gotten it installed just time but I can't
> get the two machines (Ubuntu desktop, Windows laptop) to talk to each
> other.  Hamachi sees the users on the network I've created, but to my
> laptop my desktop looks like its offline when its not, and my desktop
> can't ping my laptop.
>
> I've turned the Firewall off on the Windows side.  That's caused some
> issues in the past for Hamachi.
>
> I'd like to use this to be able to access my files on my desktop when
> I've away from my local network here in the apartment.

I recently went through an exercise of getting a good firewall established.

For what it is worth Firestarter currently has no maintainer and I was not able
to make it fit my needs.

I settled on Shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net). I do not know if a version is
available for 9.10 (I am using 8.04 LTS) but I would expect it would be. The
documentation is very good and once I had the configuration files correct
everything works as I wanted it to.

I know nothing about Hamachi...

Just my experience...

Cheers,