OEM hard disk replication

Chadley Wilson chadleyw at pinnacle.co.za
Wed Mar 3 05:43:20 UTC 2010

> You may be in too much of a hurry to answer this (please don't swear at me),
> but what exactly fails when you put the duplicated disks in another machine?
[>] I get a kernel panic message

> I have actually put disks with Ubuntu installs on them from one machine to a
> different machine, with different hardware (motherboard, RAM, etc) and as
> long as the processor architecture was the same (i386, amd64, etc) it would
> boot and work with usually no problem (the only issues were things like
> switching from an ATI to NVIDIA video card and wanting to use the
> proprietary drivers, they would still have to be manually installed).
>
> Anyway, assuming that your "next 5000 computers" are identical hardware

[>] Yes they are

, it
> makes me wonder what is exactly going wrong when the cloned disk is put in
> a "blank" machine.  I haven't honestly ever used the OEM login/install option

[>]  Does this without the OEM option as well

> From the looks of things, it is more or less a normal install that auto-creates
> an "oem" user that is then removed once you do oem-config-prepare which
> sets a config wizard type thing to come up on the next boot to set regional
> settings and create a user account.
>
> What version of Ubuntu are you using?

[>]Kermic 9.10

What, if any, are the significant
> differences between your "master" machines and the other machines?

[>] None they are identical and we have checked all the bios setting are are identical including the date and time.

> Have you tried using one of the 5000 non-masters, creating the install and
> image on it, and then clone it to the other 4999 machines?
[>]
[>] Yes in fact we tried about 4 or 5 machines as the master.

> If your duplicator does a true byte for byte copy, and the hardware is even

[>] It is a fully Windows, Linux and Mac compatible duplicator. Fedora 11 works perfectly on it.

> close to the same, I can't see why that wouldn't work.  Most of the hardware
> detection in Linux is done at boot and not stored (for example, the xorg.conf
> file has almost all but gone away for "standard" configurations).
>
> I know I may have just asked more questions than answered any, and
> someone might come along and say that I am totally wrong, but in my
> (admittedly small scale) experience, there has been no issues from using the
> image of one machine on another as long as the processor architecture is the
> same and no special settings or configurations have to be created.
>
> Preston
[>]
Thanks for the response Preston, it is really appreciated.