NFS, Why so slow?

Ian Coetzee ubuntu at iancoetzee.za.net
Tue Mar 2 13:26:26 UTC 2010

On 2010/03/02 03:15 PM, Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Knapp<magick.crow at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Hakan Koseoglu<hakan at koseoglu.org>  wrote:

<snip snip snip>
>> I guess you could look at it that way. I looked at it like the NFS IS
>> slow but that could be caused by many things not just NFS itself. What
>> is 11g speed? I thought 11 was 54 Mbit/s.  Does 11 default to a slower
>> speed when there is a lot of noise? What channel might be best? The
>> wifi card is on channel 11 and claims to have a 54 Mb/s link quality
>> 85% on the server.

Knapp

54Mbit/s is the theoretical connection speed, the maximum throughtput is
around 22Mbit/s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#802.11g)

For the best channel I would suggest you use a network scanner like
wifi-radar or netstumbler (Windows) to find out which channels are the
most in use.
> I am using wicd, how do you make the wifi pick a new channel? Anyone
> have any ideas?

That is a setting that you will have to define on the WiFi AP, should be
on the same page as where you define the SSID

Regards
Ian