NFS, Why so slow?

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Tue Mar 2 10:05:12 UTC 2010

Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Steve Lamb <grey at dmiyu.org> wrote:
>>     Is it NFS?

> Er, I thought I said that.

     No, you asserted that NFS was the slowdown.  I was asking if it was NFS
that was slow or something else and NFS is just what you're focusing on.]

>>  Against what are you comparing those speeds?

> I am cp fromRemote Tolocal an ISO file of a movie. The number comes
> from something called, "network monitor", on my Xubuntu laptop.

     Which is not comparing it to anything.  To determine that NFS is causing
the slowdown you would have to compare it against a non-NFS operation which
shows dramatically faster speeds over the same link.  Remember, NFS is going
over the wireless connection.  If that wireless connection is not getting
optimal speeds everything over it will be slow.  That would not be the fault
of NFS.