Disk utils on Live CD

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 00:09:29 UTC 2010

What disk utilities are available on the Live CD?

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 (full version not remix) on an EeePC.  1 GB
memory and a 64 GB Crucial SSD hard-drive. All was well until it went
out on the web for updates.  Sometime during the update the system hung.
  Waited about 20 minutes then rebooted.  When it came back up there was
a black screen the message about a grub read error.

 From then on the install would stop while trying to partition and
format the disk. Rebooting the Live CD and using gpartd would not format
it either.  I tried deleting the partitions and recreating them seemed
to help.  It at least seemed like it worked.  It popped up a dialog with
a successful completion message.  When I closed it the status bar at the
bottom acted like it was scanning again and when it stopped the
filesystem reverted to undefined.

Thanks,  Jim