8.04 -> 10.04 Grub Grub 2 and LVM

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Tue Jun 29 21:38:26 UTC 2010

The upgrade did not fail totally.
The only thing that is not working is booting to the root Logical Volume
on a raid array.

As I understand the GRUB situation GRUB is not supposed to be upgraded
on existing installs but GRUB2 is installed by default on new installs.
What seems not to be working is that GRUB is not loading lvm kernel
module and therefore the the root device /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root cannot
be found.

I can boot a Live CD using the nodmraid option, install lvm2 and dmadm.
The Live CD does not include lvm2.
Then I can activate the raid arrays and recover the volume groups. All
of the data is there and appears to be working.

I can chroot to my original root device and all is good.

I have several production machines with very similar configurations and
need to upgrade them. I am trying to understand what went wrong so I can
fix it and hopefully the result will help other people in the same
situation.

The solution may be as simple as reinstalling GRUB to update the
configuration, using grub-install /dv/sda but I want to be sure before I
try that.

--
*Robert Steinmetz, AIA*
Principal