8.04 -> 10.04 Grub Grub 2 and LVM

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 19:14:24 UTC 2010

On 06/29/2010 12:49 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:
> I have recently upgraded one of my machines from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS
> and have been unable to boot it since.
>
> The root partition is on a RAID Array with LVM installed.
>
> I can boot using a Live CD and using the nodmraid option then load
> lvm2 and mdadm. I can then activate the arrays and restore the volume
> groups. The files appear intact but it appears that lvm is not being
> loaded during boot.
> I have also discovered that GRUB was not upgraded to GRUB2
>
> I have several other production machines I need to upgrade so I want
> to try to resolve this.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has and suggestions.
> --
> Robert Steinmetz, AIA
> Principal
> Steinmetz & Associates

     A couple of things. First you should not update from 8.04 to 10.4.
I think that is to big a jump. Also that is why you have GRUB and not
GRUB2. Then to make matters even worse you have a RAID array which has
been a problem on 10.04. I suggest you search for the RAID bugs on the
Ubuntu main page and also consider if you can load 10.04 from the LiveCD
and update and then get your HOME from 8.04 copied to your 10.04 now :-)

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User