disk management

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 20:43:06 UTC 2010

On 28 June 2010 18:00, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an extern sata drive that i want to use for virtual box machines.
> Currently the drive is unformatted (ubuntu 10.04 sees the drive).
> do i need to format the drive (or a portion of it) in order to add
> virtualbox devices to it since virtualbox will part and format what it needs
> for each individual machine?
>
> Thanks for the input.

VirtualBox does not directly do anything to drives. The virtual drives
of virtual machines are stored as ordinary files in an ordinary
filesystem. You can use any filesystem Linux can write: ext3, ext4,
FAT32, NTFS, whatever you like. Ext4 might be best as the files will
often be large, and FAT32 is not ideal as it cannot accommodate files

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508