FD - wireless trouble

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 28 19:17:31 UTC 2010

On 06/28/2010 03:53 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> NoOp さんは書きました:
>> Thomas, I suspect that the wifi and floppy issues are not related.
>> Testing on my machines with no wifi whatsoever yields the same results:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835/comments/221>
>>
>> I am interested in the "Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days
>> ago and then stopped being recognized, because I set up a wireless
>> connection." comment. I'm wondering if you also did some updates in the
>> past three days that may have caused/contributed to the issue. Can you
>> check in /var/log/apt/history.log ($ gedit /var/log/apt/history.log) and
>> perhaps post your last 5 days of date in pastebin
>> (http://paste.ubuntu.com/) and then post the url to the data?
>>
> I think I successfully pasted the requested data here:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/456326/

You did thanks. And my guess is that this is the update that killed your
floppy (nothing to do with wireless):

Start-Date: 2010-06-26  01:59:17
Upgrade: udisks (1.0.1-1build1, 1.0.1-1ubuntu1)

*   Published  on 2010-06-15
Changelog
udisks (1.0.1-1ubuntu1) lucid-proposed; urgency=low
* Add 00git-fix-floppy-probing-hangs.patch: A lot of modern machines do
not have a floppy drive any more, but still have a floppy controller
somewhere (or at least the BIOS pretends to). Trying to open(/dev/fd0)
on these machines causes long hangs, which lead to long desktop startup
times.
To fix this, avoid probing floppies for media in update_info().
nautilus/gvfs do not expect the media state to be correct for floppies
anyway. (LP: #539515)

[...]
> If that "update" were responsible for the bug, is there anything like
> the "system restore" used in Windows, which allows you to return
> the system to a date at which it definitely was working OK?

It may be possible to back that udisks version down to the previous
(udisks (1.0.1-1build1)). I'll test today and see if it makes any
difference.

> Or has there been otherwise published a solution to this bug?

Not that I'm aware of. The fix for
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/539515?comments=all>
is (IMO) the one that broke the floppy. Note the comments from
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/539515/comments/123>
on down.