read extern drive in ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:02:22 UTC 2010

On 28 June 2010 15:38, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Sorry guys I guess I was not very clear.  She will send me her hard
> drive and I intend to put it in my empty external drive case and read it
> with Ubuntu and copy it.   I can send them by email as files or write to
> dvd and mail to her.  This info is on a pretty small hard drive I think
> as it is old.  Everyone is telling her that she can only get the files
> off and read them with a Mac computer.  I don't know what kind of file
> system Mac uses or if the advice she has been given is correct.  It's my
> understanding that you can put Ubuntu on a Mac and move the personal
> files to Ubuntu.  I just want to be sure I can work with the Mac files
> or convert them to something Ubuntu can work with.        Doug

It's OK, I follow you.

Yes, it should work.

Macs use a disk format called HFS (for *very* old Macs) and HFS+ (for
anything since the mid-to-late 1990s). Ubuntu reads HFS+ fine,
straight out of the box in my experience - I did not need to add any
additional software or anything.

One thing that threw me: if you attach the Mac hard disk, the kernel
will list it and the partitions on it. You might want to take a note
of this.

With a PC hard disk, you can run "fdisk" or "sfdisk -l" or something
like that to list the partitions on a drive. This won't work on a Mac
drive, because it doesn't have a PC partition map. Mac partition maps
are different, but Ubuntu can read them - it's just that the Ubuntu
partitioning tools can't.

You should be fine. Plug in the drive and it should mount the disks
and you'll be away. You probably won't need any of this stuff I'm
mentioning.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508