FD - wireless trouble

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 28 04:19:39 UTC 2010

On 06/26/2010 10:54 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> * gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> blacklist rt2800usb
> blacklist rt2800usb_cs
> -> "Then save, reboot ..."
> Now the wireless is working again (see above), but not the floppy.
>
> I just don't get it (but then again, I am probably complaining too much,
> as someone said earlier):
> You get one function and loose another. Here the ability to read
> floppies (even if floppies are considered as relicby some, but since ALL
> my computers have the drives, I would like to be able to use them).
> Floppies have been around since the dawn of time and I refuse to
> believe, that using them is a highly sophisticated, complex task.
> Throughout the 25 years of using computers, I never knew that there
> actually **CAN** be problems with reading floppies.
> I had these problems with OpenSUSE 10.3 and later 11.2. -> changed to
> Ubuntu. In 9.04 FDD was working; in 9.10 NOT (officially recognized
> bug). Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days ago and then stopped
> being recognized, because I set up a wireless connection. Reversing the
> last steps I took before the FD went dead had no effect.
>
> Question: is there a sensible, reasonably intelligent way out of this
> paranoid mess? Or do I have to choose: either FD or wireless?
> (THAT appears really stupid to me)

Thomas, I suspect that the wifi and floppy issues are not related.
Testing on my machines with no wifi whatsoever yields the same results:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/441835/comments/221>

I am interested in the "Now in 10.04 the floppy DID work until 3 days
ago and then stopped being recognized, because I set up a wireless
connection." comment. I'm wondering if you also did some updates in the
past three days that may have caused/contributed to the issue. Can you
check in /var/log/apt/history.log ($ gedit /var/log/apt/history.log) and
perhaps post your last 5 days of date in pastebin
(http://paste.ubuntu.com/) and then post the url to the data?