kernel error

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 27 04:00:37 UTC 2010

On 06/26/2010 03:35 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> I keep getting malfunctions where my screen goes black and the keyboard
> is unresponsive, necessitating hard reboot.  The following entries from
> my kernel log are repeated a couple of dozen time prior to the blank
> screen, but they mean nothing to me.  I am running on a new installation
> of 10.04 on a somewhat old Dell Dimension 2400.  I can see no pattern as
> to when the error(s) happen.
>
> [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
> render error detected, EIR: 0x00000000
> [drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -5
> (awaiting 295143 at 295142)
> [drm:i915_gem_idle] *ERROR* hardware wedged
> [drm:i915_gem_entervt_ioctl] *ERROR* Reenabling wedged hardware, good luck
> [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
> render error detected, EIR: 0x00000000
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

It appears that you are running into these bugs for your intel i915:
[display freezes, [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer
elapsed... GPU hung]
Note: that bug has been marked as duplicate of this bug, but might be
worth a read before you review the other:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/528467>
[[i855] GPU hung (drm i915 intel) on Lucid Lynx]

No solutions given, but might give you an idea where to start
looking/troubleshooting.