refresh my memory -- why firefox goes grey and inactive?

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sat Jun 26 14:15:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Bill Liao <lwlw1988 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal at burgiss.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
>> wrote:
>> >

> He says it's unreponsive ,i think it's not the visual result of Compiz.

Doh. I think you didn't read the paragraph after that. Of course,
Compiz is not the root cause. The greying out is like the idiot light
on your car's dashboard that tells you that you are about to run out
of gas, which, as I recall, makes Compiz like the idiot light. If you
don't want the idiot light, turn of the relevant Compiz setting (at
least I seem to remember that being the solution to that). And of
course, that isn't going to solve the underlying issue(s).

I've seen a bunch of this. In my case it was probably a combination of
low memory, and poorly written X.org stuff. It tends to effect FF more
than other apps, but I've seen it in openoffice too, and others.

The "greying" may last a second or two, or it may last many minutes
(in my case), depending on how depleted the system resources are.
Restarting X (or rebooting), usually gave me some extra life.
Troubleshooting the root cause, would mean knowing what the hardware
specs are, what processes are running and what resources they are
using, how much free memory there is etc.

I went from 1G or ram to 4, and went from Intel video to nividia, and
my similar problems completely disappeared. Forever. I also use Chrome
now, which is significantly less resource hungry. And XFCE, for
similar reasons.

--
Hal