wi-fi suggestions

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Jun 26 12:43:28 UTC 2010

On 06/26/2010 07:03 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>   Hi!
>
> On 25/06/2010 21:13, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> On 06/25/2010 01:30 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>>
>>> Then people started hacking them... in particular
>>> with drivers for the WiFi stack that could be configured to go beyond
>>> the 42mW that most countries accept as the maximum for WiFi. They can
>>> easily be driven to 100mW (and 200mW if you aren't afraid of burning the
>>> power transistors of the beast).
>>>
>> I've seen some run full power, 250mW, for months on end with no problems.
>>
> Sure. And usually it will work. Unless for some reason the machine isn't
> well ventilated or it is hit by direct sunlight.
>
> Mine run at 100mW, but I have 7dB antenas which help a lot too. :)
>
> Every 3dB means 2x the power. 7dB is over 4x the transmission power, so
> equivalent to over 400mW... but also improves the reception gain by the
> same factor. And last-stage transistors never risk overheating.
>
> Gilles.

Most routers will only ever see sunlight when you carry them from the
store to the car and into your house. The rest of the tme they spend on
a shelf out of the way somewhere. In some cases they may be in the
attic, but most often not. Risk of overheating is minimal in most normal
usage situations.

We had one in an extreme usage environment, and the router has survived
at about 80mW output. We bought a GMC Safari van cheap and made it into
a crazy persons dream. Full desktop computer with dual monitors, a
Linksys router with one antenna mounted on the roof and one inside, Full
ham radio capability from HF through UHF, TV and an 800 MHz trunking
scanner. About the only thing we haven't found space for is a microwave,
icebox and powder room.

Now we get to do it all over again. We have an Aerostar with a 60
telescoping pneumatic mast in it that we want to convert.