wi-fi suggestions

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Sat Jun 26 12:16:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 14:13 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 06/25/2010 01:30 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> > Then people started hacking them... in particular
> > with drivers for the WiFi stack that could be configured to go beyond
> > the 42mW that most countries accept as the maximum for WiFi. They can
> > easily be driven to 100mW (and 200mW if you aren't afraid of burning the
> > power transistors of the beast).
>
> I've seen some run full power, 250mW, for months on end with no problems.
>
> --

I do not believe that one.

The WRT54GL was not designed to go that high power.

While the DD-WRT SW may allow any number between 1 and 255 (mW) it is
illegal to run more power than the unit was designed for.  It is
considered a part 15 device, and modifications like changing the power
or adding a high gain antenna make it no longer a part 15 device.

Part of the problem is that most people do not understand RF. If you
push the power beyond the design limits the signal becomes distorted at
some point. It causes unwanted RF noise at other frequencies, and may
interfere with RF signals in other areas of the RF spectrum.

I think the default power is around 28 mW. I have seen it operated at 70
mW. But beyond that you risk interference and overheating the RF chips
and damaging the WRT54GL. The DD-WRT website also recommends not going
above 70 mW also or you may damage the unit from over heating.  It does
not say anything about distorting the signal.

If you have an Amateur Radio license you can make it an amateur radio
but then you have to follow the amateur radio rules. They include
identifying yourself every 10 minutes, no business traffic, and using
channel 6 or lower (that is where the Amateur Radio band overlaps the
ISM allocation). Amateur radio operators can use any power (I do not
remember if the limit is 200W or 1500 W for this band, but it does not
matter because equipment for over 10W is almost impossible to find or
make.)

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain